Federal Grants

Federal Grants

Rebuilding Together AmeriCorps Grant


Although not specifically geared towards people with disabilities, this AmeriCorps grant tends to lean towards helping households with disabled people. Many of the modifications made through these grants are created to ensure the safety of people with limited mobility.

Grants from the American Red Cross

Disabled individuals who served or currently serve in the military may be able to take advantage of many Red Cross grants that are geared towards home updates. Families of the service members may also be able to use these benefits.


The Army Wounded Warrior Program

Soldiers who qualify for this grant will be able to use funds to improve their homes for themselves and their families. Most of the money here goes to armed service members in the United States Army, and their stated goal is to help servicemen maintain their independence.

Restoring Independence Supporting Empowerment (RISE)


RISE, an initiative from the Gary Sinise Foundation (of Forrest Gump fame) is another organization that aims to help military veterans who were injured while on duty. One of the more interesting aspects of this grant is that it can be used to construct Smart Homes, or homes with exciting new technologies for safety and connectivity.


The Assisted Living Conversion for Eligible Multifamily Housing Projects (ACLP)


The US Office of Housing under the auspices of the Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) created the ACLP. This grant is specifically for seniors who are in need of living modifications to continue living safely and comfortably. One special note – funds from the SCLP may be used to hire a personal assistant, who can help a disabled homeowner with personal care, cleaning and cooking, among other important services.


Lions Club International



For homeowners with a visual disability or hearing problem, Lions Club International is here to help. Many of the locally based clubs will personally sponsor other programs that give direct assistance to disabled homeowners.


The Self Sufficiency Grant


ModestNeeds.org gives households without the ability to qualify for low income housing the chance to receive assistance with home modifications. The overall goal of the grant is to ensure that households who are just above the poverty line do not have to spend the last of their resources on important home modifications that may still be outside of their reach.

VA Housing Grants for Disabled Veterans


VA provides grants to Servicemembers and Veterans with certain permanent and total service-connected disabilities to help purchase or construct an adapted home, or modify an existing home to accommodate a disability. Two grant programs exist: the Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant and the Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant.

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant

SAH grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities live independently in a barrier-free environment. SAH grants can be used in one of the following ways:

  • Construct a specially adapted home on land to be acquired
  • Build a home on land already owned if it is suitable for specially adapted housing
  • Remodel an existing home if it can be made suitable for specially adapted housing
  • Apply the grant against the unpaid principal mortgage balance of an adapted home already acquired without the assistance of a VA grant
  • View and share VA’s SHA infographic to help spread the word

Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant

SHA grants help Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities adapt or purchase a home to accommodate the disability. You can use SHA grants in one of the following ways:

  • Adapt an existing home the Veteran or a family member already owns in which the Veteran lives
  • Adapt a home the Veteran or family member intends to purchase in which the Veteran will live
  • Help a Veteran purchase a home already adapted in which the Veteran will live


If you are a Servicemember or Veteran with a permanent and total service-connected disability, you may be entitled to a Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) grant or a Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) grant. The table below provides an overview of VA’s housing grant programs for Veterans with certain service-connected disabilities.

Specially Adapted Housing (SAH) Grant

  • Loss of or loss of use of both legs, OR
  • Loss of or loss of use of both arms, OR
  • Blindness in both eyes having only light perception, plus loss of or loss of use of one leg, OR
  • The loss of or loss of use of one lower leg together with residuals of organic disease or injury, OR
  • The loss of or loss of use of one leg together with the loss of or loss of use of one arm, OR
  • Certain severe burns, OR
  • The loss, or loss of use of one or more lower extremities due to service on or after September 11, 2001, which so affects the functions of balance or propulsion as to preclude ambulating without the aid of braces, crutches, canes, or a wheelchair *
PermanentHome is owned by an eligible individualMaximum of 3 grants, up to the maximum dollar amount allowable

* This eligibility criteria is limited to 30 recipients per fiscal year (FY).

Special Housing Adaptation (SHA) Grant

  • Blindness in both eyes with 20/200 visual acuity or less, OR
  • Loss of or loss of use of both hands, OR
  • Certain severe burn injuries, OR
  • Certain severe respiratory injuries
PermanentHome is owned by an eligible individual or family memberMaximum of 3 grants, up to the maximum dollar amount allowable